Thursday, April 12, 2007

I Predict A Riot

Walking to collect Jack from nursery today, my i-pod randomly played "I predict a riot" and I was taken back to the Stirling anti G8 camp a couple of years ago. The night before the Stirling riots, it was pumped out of the music tent at full blast. Now I think of all those people shouting along with the lyrics and think they probably weren't the ones out confronting the police at 5am. They were the ones who consumed too much drink, too many drugs and were comatose by morning.

Having said this, music has been iconic on quite a few protests, in an almost cliched manner. Chumbawamba's "Tubthumping" was blaring out of the sound system atop a pick-up truck as the tear gas poured in at Genoa. Progidy's "Fuck 'em and their law"greeted the riot police from the multicoloured scaffolding tower on Claremont Road.

In other news, I've been working on my sample spreads for my non fiction book. I then got carried away and made them into a little sample book which I don't think I was meant to do, but enjoyed - sad really. Hardcore anarchist makes little sample book shock horror!

I've done no work on my novel or my industry analysis. Tomorrow I must, must, must try and get something done.

3 comments:

Petink said...

All my best rioting days were done to the sounds of nose bleed techno on some country down at 4 in the morning. Highligh of those times was a cheeky monkey putting 'these boots are made for walking' on the deck as the riot squad plus helcopter took over the dance floor.

miss-cellany said...

'Dance of The Sugar Plum Fairy' caused some confusion and much amusement too. x

emapple said...

I also enjoyed playing "Fuck the Police" loudly out of my window after I'd been followed home once. But that's just childish!